Brick and Tile Companies in the Huntworth Area
By 1851 William Symons had opened his yard and employed at least 17 men from the Parish, there was also a drainage-pipe maker.
By 1859 Fursland Co. and Colthurst, Symonds, and Co were leading brickmakers. In 1887 Thomas Colthurst took a new lease of the brickyard from Lord Portman, including kilns managers house, cottages and various fields for digging clay.
By 1881 large numbers were employed, 85 by one manufacturer. The largest yard was Crossway Brick and Tile Works of Colhurst, Symonds, and Co. By 1887 there were three yards, Crossway, Fursland's Somerset Yard, and New yard. New Yard was held by William Symons in 1898.
There was also another yard across the Parret which was worked by by the Somerset Trading Co . of Bridgewater.
In the early 20th century the industry declined and most yards closed.
The public house The Malt and Hops at Somerset Bridge was opened before 1851 by Samuel Fursland at his brick and tile works and remained open until 1937.