Burrow Mump was given to The National Trust in memory of the men and women of Somerset who gave their lives in the second world war, 1939-1945.
The hill was occupied during the Roman period, It was fortified by King Alfred in A.D 879 to protect the upper waters of the Tone and Parrett from Danish incursions. Later a Norman castle on the summit was replaced by a chapel of St.Michael, dependant on Athelney Abbey.
The chapel survived the dissolution of 1539, but was partly destroyed in 1645 when held by royalists' troops after the battle of Langport. The existing remains date chiefly from restorations c.1730 and c.1790.