Burrow Bridge 2002

Burrow Bridge 2002

The bridge located at Burrow Bridge spans the river Tone, an old three arched stone bridge was removed from here in the 1820's and replaced by a single span bridge in 1826.

Burrow Mump is located close to the A361 at Burrow Bridge between Taunton and Street. Burrow Mump was given to The National Trust in memory of the men and women of Somerset who gave their lives in the second world war, 1939-1945.

The hill was occupied during the Roman period, It was fortified by King Alfred in A.D 879 to protect the upper waters of the Tone and Parrett from Danish incursions. Later a Norman castle on the summit was replaced by a chapel of St.Michael, dependant on Athelney Abbey.
The chapel survived the dissolution of 1539, but was partly destroyed in 1645 when held by royalists' troops after the battle of Langport. The existing remains date chiefly from restorations c.1730 and c.1790.